Monday, October 19, 2009

The cycle of analytics [DRAFT]

The Stages of Analytics

1) Guys, we need to report X - give me a trended chart that allows me to compare it over different periods

2) Guys, that was good but what I really need is to understand how to influence the trend, tell me more about it by breaking the trend over serveral relevant dimensions

3) Guys, that still isnt telling me why things are happening, what are you going to do about it? Oh build a multidemensional database? sounds good, here's some cash.

4) Guys, did I not say I wanted these results asap I want to understand 'why'? Where are you with this database thing? Oh, you found some more data and you want to create a "warehouse"?

5) Guys, I really want to start seeing something from my own data, just tell how to increase X. What do you mean too many dimensions? You what? You want to spend money on a fancy front end to display the data looking for insight? jeez, just get me something please!!

6) Ok, I like the sound of this statistical stuff, it sounds very clever. What does it do again? Prevent you from having to manually look at all the different dimensions in the fancy interface I bought you and what? finally shows me how to improve my chart?

7) Right, so this stats thing, its modelling, scoring and I "think" improving my trend, but I'm not sure as it all seems a bit complex and I dont hear anything from you any more. Can't it just tell me something simple about my business so I can do some proper actions myself?

8) What do you mean no one else understands it either?

9) Guys, you've really pissed me off. I've got loads of kit, loads of data but no answers, all I really need is to understand how to influence the trend. I tell you what, I'm going to get an "Industry Expert" in to do some brainstorming and build some decent segment. They might even do some surveying of my customer base instead. That seems simpler...

No comments:

Footer

Add to Technorati Favorites