Friday, January 04, 2008

Seth Godin's Meatball Sundae part 1

Seth Godin is clearly the new wunderkind of online marketing. So much so Omniture has invited him to speak at the upcoming Omniture summit.

I figured it would be interesting to take a look at his book, Meatball Sundae, and see what I can glean from it. Unfortunately I'm not one for buying every book that comes from the next big thing, if I did I'd probably be significantly poorer than I am now so what I propose is to look at Seth's excerpts and see whether it looks like a good buy.

Let me tell you what I hoped the book would be about after hearing the title. I assumed that it was an analogy to show how customers when faced with confusing content, messages or indeed food courses might not produce the desired outcome of a pleasurable eating/online experience. (as a side note, it is exactly this kind of mixing of foods combined with excellent execution that sparked the public interest in Heston Blumenthal with delights such as bacon and egg ice cream and snail porridge however I doubt Seth realised this when considering his title)

I'll also be honest and say that by writing about Seth I am essentially trying to ride his coattails a little but I believe this kind of reviewing is exactly what blogs are ideal for.

Lets begin with a quickie.

"The Most Important thing Understand that you don't get to decide what the market demands. The market does."

In my mind, if you take this as his first point, I think the second that Seth needs to add is that you are in control of how you react to market demands - and thats where marketers add value.

Does this mean marketing is always reactive to market demands? Of course not. Thats what market and product research is all about, giving you as close an view to whats really going on in the market place as possible.

However, what it does mean is that we have to put in place
  • checks and balances to ensure we capture when our marketing begins to perform poorly. (measurement for management)
  • processes that will ensure maximum return when the market does indeed swing our way (cross channel optimisation).

No comments:

Footer

Add to Technorati Favorites